Page
of 3

Infernus Delenda Est: an Open RP Campaign

23 replies
Votes:
+51
Orochi Camp Salvage Report Addendum

By Ash Clerisy

With the help of Desi (I apologize for not knowing your full name), we've wrangled out a few files from the Orochi commanding officer's hard drive.

Most of it's unusable, and in fact the drive itself can barely run without crashing; there's a lot of broken system files. We can see that there's a number of full status reports, but they're unusable now. Audio files and images, too, although a couple of those are intact; the camp seemed to be really into the terraforming effort by the demons, lending credence to that being what they were there for.

We got enough emails to get an outline of what the CO was doing, too, albeit not in specifics. Her name's Emily King, and she seemed to be pretty new to the whole 'being lead on an expedition' thing. She was very responsive to superiors in other departments, so we have an idea of what they were looking into even if most of the emails didn't survive. It seemed like Manticore had interest in the demons themselves, while Plethron were really into what they were doing to the landscape. By the end they were also trying to loop Vali in, but all evidence suggests that didn't happen by the time the camp was abandoned.

Speaking of the abandoned camp, Mazzanti appears in her emails to her Manticore superiors (it seems King was with Manticore, specifically). He's described as a 'friendly Venetian emissary', who apparently gave them the food shipments as a 'peace offering'. King's superiors seemed to recommend keeping up connections and working with us, rather than remaining totally outside our sphere, but, well, we know that didn't go according to plan.

This answers some questions, but only in ways that make the ones that stay open even more unexplained. The exodus clearly wasn't commanded by Orochi higher-ups, and King doesn't seem the type to risk disobeying orders. It seems like some big shift happened, but there's no evidence of it.
Posted Oct 27, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+48
Untagged users
d7D3iia.png

UPDATE: CAMP WONDERWALL ATTACKED

Weeks of false peace came to a bloody end with a sudden and crippling infernal assault upon Camp Wonderwall -- the first direct action against the operation's base since its foundation.

Half the camp was razed in the attack, and the Venetian Commandant was taken prisoner in the chaos. As the dust settled his adjunct, Venetian Captain Luca Bianchi, assumed command and, recognizing the demons' gambit, broadcasted an announcement disavowing all volunteer forces. This, in effect, freed all Society and freelance elements assisting the operation to take 'independent action' against the infernal host -- per the terms of the armistice.

Bianchi's authority, however, was swiftly superseded by that of de facto volunteer leader Amelie Sinclair, who published a damage report and raised the question of how the demons bypassed the camp's wards and defenses. The next few days saw a flurry of follow-up activity; while some volunteers such as prizefighter Ray Grimsson took advantage of their disavowment to take the fight to Hell preemptively, others worked on an answer to Amelie's question. Desirila Davenport was able to salvage surveillance footage and audio logs which showed that the demons were specifically aiming to capture Wonderwall Command alive. The recordings also indicated the presence of hellrifts uncomfortably close to camp, which was confirmed by Raine Garza's discovery of infernal terraforming along Wonderwall's northern approach.

Disturbing as these discoveries were, prompt action was called for -- especially now that the volunteers had their target. Discovered and scouted previously during Operation Telemachus, the Lord of Blood and Wailing's fortress in Hell awaited beyond the Styx Incursion Zone. Amelie convened a Council of War to plan a decisive, three-pronged assault upon this demonic fastness.

The ashes have grown cold in ruined, battered Wonderwall, but the fire under its final offensive is only just lit.
Cordelia "Cordite" Harper
Office drone turned reluctant crusader!

Character Profile | IC Twitter
Posted Nov 5, 18 · OP · Last edited Nov 5, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+48
Untagged users
khw7E2i.png

CONCLUSION: ALL THE ROADS THAT LEAD YOU THERE

So this has been pretty long in the coming, but — it’s done!

The ‘Styx Assault’, as it has become known, has over the past two (RL) months breached the infernal fortress of the Lord of Blood & Wailing, and wrought a grand tapestry of demon-slaying havoc. What Venice failed to accomplish, its ‘disavowed’ allies have done. Little remains of the Styx Fortress, heart of the hellish blight that menaced Tunisia, but a guttered hulk — its garrison scattering, and the Great Rift atop its summit destabilized into nothingness.

The full measure of the exploits of Teams Sisyphus, Summanus and Stymphalus can be read here, in the Discord server where it all unfolded.

Questions remain, and loose ends also. Widow’s Tears — sole survivor of the Host of Blood & Wailing’s three generals — remains at large, having been inadvertently pulled to Earth along with the transdimensional retreat. What mischief the great banshee of Hell will get up to on our anima-rich plane, only time will tell. There is also the Phoenician connection: what exactly was the Purples’ interest in the demonic invasion? Where was the Great Rift at Styx really leading to, and for what purpose? What became of the captured Commandant of Wonderwall? And, of course, of the Lord of Blood & Wailing himself there is no sign. Perhaps Styx was but a setback. We may never know...

But for the present, this marks the official end of Infernus Delenda Est as a campaign. A big thank-you to everyone who participated, and made this what it became. Special thanks to those brave souls who joined me ingame at the oasis, to battle the RP restraints Funcom placed on us! We made it up to 13 players at camp one night (too spread out to capture in one shot, unfortunately, but here’s a shot of an earlier session with 10!), which I’ll hold up there as an field RP record as far as this game is concerned.

And last but definitely not least, a shout-out to the impromptu ‘GM team’ — Cognizance, Faerner and Croise. #InfernusDE owes these three a great deal for stepping up as co-GMs, and lending their time, effort and creativity in the face of RL interference!

Over the past half-year, I kept a tally of characters I noticed engaging with the campaign in some fashion, whether ingame or on Twitter. No better way to wrap this thing, I think, than by posting it. Thank you all again, and I hope I didn’t miss anyone!

Allies of Wonderwall

Aathryn Envis
ADAM
Adelaide Richens
Alexander Venator
Arcadius Williams
Alexandra Kovalevsky
Alima Hopkins
Amelie Sinclair
Angela Mercy
Angelique Richter
Ariel Nikitich
Arkham Blackwell
Ash Clerisy
Binkx Martel
The Black Forest Company
Charlie Kennedy
Cordelia Harper
Damian Atavez
Desirila Davenport
Erica Court
Emily Menton
Giovanna Landers
Halo Luna
Hasna Sezer
Heather Ramis
Ilsebet Strohminger
Jack Dubois
Jacobi Cross
Kara
Klaus Richter
Korveran Deathshadow
Kuniko Takamitsu
Kurt Montressor
Kyrrin Torre
Laila Savigne-Frey
Louis/Prince Martel
Lula DeValora
Lynnette Bowman
Miss Jinx
Mister V
Monika Vanekova
Nathan Simmons
Nishi Venator
Raine Garza
Ray Grimsson
Russell Kobayashi
Sal Duke
Sanny
Souhi Mian
Stanley Mercer
Svetlana Averyanova
Wolfgang Sprenger

Posted Jan 11, 19 · OP · Last edited Jan 11, 19
List
Undo
Votes:
+48
Untagged users
OUTTAKES
a.k.a some of the many screenies I took during the campaign that I found no good IC pretext to use lol

VMEQvYY.png

"Hmm. Cor gets the trunk. With Alima's hammer."

aSNyWrV.png

The literal spirit of conversation.

WlkF20l.png

We had to circle back to retrieve Levsky's gun.

bXSCzvn.png

Even the Society of the Armored Abattoir turned up to fight the demons.

MGEa5iD.png

Had this earmarked for a post about Wonderwall's garrison engaging with the locals. One of the most fortuitous shots I took during the campaign; how rare is it to find two randos, in full CoV getup, in the zone where you have a CoV-centric plot running?

HIpm9zS.png

And of course, I cannot resist my album cover shots.

Posted Jan 12, 19 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices