Main Forum

Do Bees Age?

9 replies
This is excerpted from a Cerberus cabal thread that's much longer, but the topic of "Do Bees age?" came up in the SWLRP Discord the other day, so... relevant! Discuss away!

Spellsmith wrote:

After a conversation about "do Bees age?", I noted the following:

We don't have, that I remember, any confirmed lore cases of ancient Bees. We do have ancient Beings (like Lilith and Samael) who are said to have survived the Ages. But we don't know, lore-wise, whether Bees are truly immortal or not. They can't be permanently killed, because they're resurrected/put back together. But do they age?

Spoiler: The Park / Halloween 2015 SpoilerShow

One thing which multiple people have confirmed is that, the issue of aging aside, something about being a Bee 'changes' us. The Buzzing references this, as does the Seven Silences quest line, and the Orochi Tower talks from Samael. I believe Klein in Issue 14 (Angry Earth) also references this -- I might have to go back and replay them to put it all together.

So, I ended up asking Scrivnomancer, previously the lead-writer on TSW, about it, to see if he'd answer me. (He answered me before, regarding whether mortals can go through Agartha, and answered Momentary before on whether Bees can be infected by Filth, so it seemed like a good chance).

However, this is the answer I got. It is not terribly helpful, but does hint at things to come:

Scrivnomancer wrote:
t's actually a question they've started asking themselves in game. While the recent explosion of activated Bees is new, they are not new beings to the planet (evidence suggests that there have been similar explosions of Bees in the past). This seems to be when Gaia activates them, when they are needed for a specific purpose. But what happens after that purpose? Are they meant to die out? What happens if they live independently past that purpose? Are they more able to actively shape their fates? Do they live forever? Do they evolve into something else? There are some clues. There are a few clues here and there, but it hasn't been definitely answered within the game yet. But I will say the fact that it's a mystery...means that something probably happens to Bees on the long term ;) The question is, if they do live a long time, what happened to the old Bees? Did they go somewhere? Did they turn into something else?
Technical writer, webmaster, and doer of many things.

Characters: Sandrijn DeJaegher
Posted Aug 10, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Theryl o
Votes:
+6
Online on Site
Untagged users
There's a hint in the Mitsubachi lore that implies that *something* happens to bees at the turn of an Age.

Spoiler: Mitsubachi LoreShow

I'd also consider the ending of Tokyo to be something of a hint as well.
Posted Aug 10, 17 · Last edited Aug 10, 17
Votes:
+32
Old bees don't get wrinkles. They just break out in hives.
wpheadermobile.png
Posted Aug 11, 17
List
Undo
Theryl o
Votes:
+6
Online on Site
Untagged users
*Groooooan* You and your puns, some things never change. ;)
Posted Aug 11, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+6
Untagged users
I realize that this is a bit o' necromancy, but I was going back through mission and lore reading and I found this from Klein's log in "The Angry Earth":
Klein's Log wrote:
These "bees", these Gaia-imbued, they do not realize, I think. They are horrified by the changes wrought on us by the Zero-Point Pathogen. They do not comprehend that they are being changed as well, only on a much slower, perhaps even geological, timeline.

Something worth noting.
Posted Mar 29, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+1
Untagged users
Officially stated in the original info given out by torske wwaaaaaaay back when. It was that Bees aren't immortal or unaging, but they age slower than just about anything else in the world.
Posted Apr 3, 18
List
Undo
I am really, really hoping that this is something that might be answered in the upcoming Season 2, given it's so strongly hinted at throughout the Tokyo storyline and the (not-yet-in-SWL) 'Seven Silences' quest.

For instance, maybe we find out that Philip Marquard is an ancient (well, old) Bee from another Age, or something like that. Something to answer 'what happens to Bees after they stop being useful'.
Technical writer, webmaster, and doer of many things.

Characters: Sandrijn DeJaegher
Posted Apr 9, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
Untagged users
We know for sure that bees dont require food or water because they get their sustinance from anima. Something to think about.
[img]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/mspaintadventures/images/2/2c/Croc_anim.gif/revision/latestcb=20121129223103[/img]
Posted Apr 24, 18
Votes:
+10
Untagged users
Or a Bee of this Age like the protagonist, may be the first to be awakened following the Sargossa Sea events, and just someone that would make more drastic choices given he was reaveled different information to begin with by Lily. What is surprising actually is that there is not more cults founded by the 'new gods'/Bees...

But I like the idea of a 'fallen' Bee from an Age before, may be he knew more than what Miss Angel expected... I wonder if Cassandra is allied with him as well...

But I digress somehow, aging seems obvious but can they die from old ages that's another story. I guess that they would be 'changed' indeed before that because: "with stranger aeons, even death may die." I mean when Ages reset things change. For instance Inbeda and the Pachinko Machine were different before the 4th Age as per their lore and now they are a demon and a pachinko machine ;)
Posted Apr 24, 18
Votes:
+6
Untagged users
Dark Agartha wrote:
But that is just one phase in the lifecycle. We were the education protocol, but we did not tell you everything. We withheld. She was not the first Immaculate Machine. We did not tell you what came before, what comes after. You are@%&#!#%@#%@%&@!!!!!!

Well, with Dark Agartha out, this last piece of the lore adds more fuel to the fire.
Posted Wed at 12:05
List
Undo
NoticeNotices